Monday 26 September 2011

The Skelligs - watch it on TV tonight

Puffin on Skellig Michael

Coast

Galway to Baltimore

Today, 19:00 on BBC Two (England, Northern Ireland only)
The Coast experts explore the wild west coast of Ireland, from Galway Bay to the Fastnet Rock, Ireland's most southerly point.
Neil Oliver traces the inspiration behind Columbus's journey to America and hears how an Irishman could have reached the New World nine hundred years before him. Alice Roberts explores the botanical puzzle of the Burren, a limestone landscape where Arctic plants grow next to Mediterranean flowers, and visits the monastery on the tiny island of Skellig Michael. Miranda Krestovnikoff finds dolphins in the Shannon estuary and reveals the secret ingredient in seaweed.


Those of you who regularly follow my blog will recall the visit made to The Skelligs on Midsummer day this year. Not quite the best of conditions, unlike the trip made Midsummer day last year where we had perfect conditions. Two trips to the Skelligs and I still haven't made it to the top of Skellig Michael to see the fantastic beehive huts so I have to rely on Alice Roberts from the BBC Coast programme to fill me in with what I have missed.

Although these programmes have done the rounds before, they always provide a fascinating watch and if you would like to see more of the Skelligs along with parts of West Cork, then I recommend you catch up with the programme tonight, 19.00 BBC2

Skellig Michael

Little Skellig

The programme ends up at the Fastnet Lighthouse - the 'teardrop of Ireland' - the last landmass of Ireland before America.
I can't wait to be back in West Cork at the weekend where fortunately for me, I can enjoy the reassuring flash of the 17-mile-distant, Fastnet Lighthouse from the comfort of my own bed, rather than a boat.


Sunset over the Fastnet Lighthouse

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking time to visit my blog.
Please feel free to share this post and I would love to hear thoughts and feedback.