Saturday 1 November 2014

Private Investigator




Firstly, apologies for my absence from blogging recently. I have been just a little occupied with my exciting new venture, of which I will blog later but for now, I have a story to tell.

When my late father-in-law passed away a number of years ago, we inherited quite a collection of his artwork, everything from his smooth ceramics to his technically detailed oils of aviation subjects and his lovely simple watercolours. Thankfully, I had already had the presence of mind to take on the task of documenting all of this work long before it finally became dispersed around friends and family. This dispersal time came at the same time as we took on our cottage in West Cork, Ireland, and so it seemed highly appropriate to pull out all of his work which had an Irish connection. One such picture was a small watercolour which had been painted 'in the field' during one of several Irish holidays, taken around 20 years ago by this regular group of four 'senior' members of the Bartlett family - two artists and their spouses. Although the location of this painting is Malin Head, right in the north of Ireland in County Donegal, it didn't seem at all wrong for it now to grace the wall of a cottage in County Cork.

Roll on six years from when we hung it on our wall, to just a few weeks back, when the final preparations for my West Cork Photography Weekends were taking place, I invited my 'second in command' Rónán to take a look at the painting, knowing he came from Malin Head himself.

"Well I never thought I would see a painting of a cottage in Malin Head on a wall in West Cork! And I'm pretty sure I know where it is too"

That got me interested and I encouraged him to seek out the cottage on his next visit home, which was during the recent mid-term break. True to his word, my private investigator tweeted the following...





"Not the same angle but I think this is it!"

Well I think that is it too - thank you Rónán!
(Forgive me for adjusting the colours a little to evoke the feel the original painting)
Now it just remains for me to pay Malin Head a visit. Something for my 2015 diary I think.

What a small world!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking time to visit my blog.
Please feel free to share this post and I would love to hear thoughts and feedback.