Monday 4 August 2014

Day 4 - August Challenge 14

Challenge - "Highest point"

Suggested by - Don via Facebook



Ok - I know - the picture is boring!

Well it may not be so interesting to you but I just wish I could have shared the excitement of starting from base camp at 73 metres and rising to the heady heights of 147 metres. Today I was in search of the highest point in Uttlesford, and indeed, in Essex.

When the highest point was suggested, I could have interpreted it in a number of ways: perhaps the highest point in terms of buildings, such as the highest church spire. Or maybe the highest point in terms of geo location. I chose the latter, one reason being, in thirty years of living in Uttlesford, I hadn't actually been there myself. (This is what I love about these challenges. I am doing things for you so as to 'learn something new every day' as well as doing some things for the first time myself.) Off I set with my kit, a map and a newly loaded app to confirm the altitude. How did I know where to go? Well it seems that finding the highest point in any county is an activity for walkers and a very useful website threw up the location just about a mile north of Langley church, the point which is conveniently situated on the Harcamlow Way, a regional long distance footpath. To be precise, on the red diamond tucked in the corner of a field to the west of High Wood (appropriate name), and surrounded on three sides by trees (not so great for a stunning vista).

So, late this afternoon, as I walked the path alongside a ripened wheat field in the sunshine, I was able to enjoy the sights and sounds of the countryside. A combine, harvesting a nearby field, a buzzard keeing overhead, green woodpeckers searching the ground for food, dragonflies flitting along the field edges, butterflies, bees... all happening under my nose. As I said, I just wish I could share the excitement - and anxiety! Suddenly the mobile signal disappeared. A disaster as I wouldn't be able to prove the location and height any other way. Thankfully, with a little bit of waving my arms around like a mad woman, the app kicked into action. 139 metres...142...145...146...150 Wait a bit, 150 metres?!! I think the app was getting a bit over excited as the spot is declared at 147 metres. Then, just as I needed it, up came 147 metres. I hastily snapped the moment before the gadget could change its mind again and looked around to see if there was an interesting view I could show you of the spot.

Sadly, the view wasn't so great so I hitched my kit up onto my back and cut through a thin strip of woodland where a herd of deer scurried through the trees in front of me. As I emerged onto the other side of the wood, the sky was just beginning to look heavy over the little church at Langley. Although I know it is likening it to the wrong county, there was a touch of Constable about the view and I stopped to capture the moment because of its simple attraction ...ok, and to provide you with the image for the day that isn't boring!










Tomorrow, Day 5


'Rural quiet'







2 comments:

  1. Oh it's lovely around there, and we often see deer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, my favourite spot is not too far from there too.

      Delete

Thank you for taking time to visit my blog.
Please feel free to share this post and I would love to hear thoughts and feedback.