Saturday 11 June 2011

Roman Orgy

Helix pomatia
Yep, that was exactly what I attended this morning and I will admit to being completely voyeristic.

Last night's drop of rain encouraged this wanton behaviour amongst the colony of Roman (or edible) snails, and before you gardeners shudder with horror, I will inform you that these particular snails are protected, so forget the idea of beer traps.

Their enforced dry-weather-celibacy got them so worked up, that I was stepping over several pairs shamelessly displaying behaviour that would get us homo sapiens locked up. If that wasn't enough, then these two were infact part of a three-some that were writhing amongst the sun-parched vegetation and seemed blissfully unaware of my camera being trained upon them.


I am going to spare you your blushes by not printing their complete actions in graphic detail here. Those images won't even make it to the front page of one of the 'red tops' because I am saving them for where I might receive better renumeration (in some form anyway!)

So how do Roman snails make love? Well, sloooowly of course. I came in on the action part way through, observed their polygamous behaviour for two full memory-card-hours - and left them still going at it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking time to visit my blog.
Please feel free to share this post and I would love to hear thoughts and feedback.