Saturday 16 May 2015

Mark Knopfler, Dublin 15.5.15




Every couple of years I look forward to going along to a concert by, who in my opinion, is one of the musical greats. Ex-Dire Straits front-man, Mark Knopfler is on tour again, and just for a change this year, we opted to see him at the 3 Arena in Dublin. There are those who, with just the mention of his name give a snigger and say 'I don't like Dire Straits'. Well, everyone is entitled to their opinion of course, but to those I say, move on, take a listen to his music today. Whilst he still plays some of the greats from the DS days, he proves his status as a multi-talented musician with his latest music - a fantastic mix of rock blended with very traditional beautiful instrumental sounds and melodies, all expertly woven together with the life-observational lyrics of his songs.

Fiddles and flutes, uilleann pipes and double bass, keyboards and guitars, all have a place on the Mark Knopfler stage. This man knows his music, and has written for films and other iconic singers, including Tina Turner.

There are many guitars putting in an appearance over the course of the night including one which has become the most recognised of all, the Resonator style O, (shown above) and as seen on the Brothers in Arms album cover, released 30 years ago, almost to the day on 13th May 1985.

This is a man with his musicians, who together,  put on a performance that oozes passion for music. No need for a warm-up support act, they just come on stage and play and play, and for over two and a half hours non-stop. Fabulous!















This time, as my 'off-duty' camera, I was putting an Olympus OM-D E-M10 + 14-42mm kit lens through its paces, apart from the shot below which was on my old-going-into-retirement G12.





National Style O Resonator Guitars were made between 1930 and 1941. Nickel plated onto a brass base, Hawaiian-style scenes were sand blasted onto the polished body. It is understood that Marks particular guitar dates from 1937.

4 comments:

  1. Celia, grets from Madrid, Dublin gig to muy way of thinkin' ítem Washington a nice show, Mark and band is a crucible of different roots as rock, folk, celtic and similar to tasting a neat coffee cup or whiskey mug, you're flavouring all essences, Dire Straits are days of yore and I'm agreed with your comments and lovely pics. Slainte

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been victim from fatty fingers
    Celia, grets from Madrid, Dublin gig to my way of thinkin' it was a nice show, Mark and band is a crucible of different roots as rock, folk, celtic and similar to tasting a neat coffee cup or whiskey mug, you're flavouring all essences, Dire Straits are days of yore and I'm agreed with your comments and lovely pics. Slainte

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind comment. I have yet to be disappointed with his music at any of his shows, although of all the venues I have seen him, I feel Manchester Arena was the one that let him down. Dublin though is every bit as good as NEC or the Royal Albert Hall.

      Delete
    2. Celia.
      Hi again, a thing si sure, best gigs to me from Knopfler are Dublin, Glasgow, Newcastle (Geordie land) and Royal Albert Hall. He's just a busker and composer day to day more than guitar heroe, it's well know I wanna fingers by Mark in my guitar hahaha. Take care Celia.

      Delete

Thank you for taking time to visit my blog.
Please feel free to share this post and I would love to hear thoughts and feedback.